Potato R&D Forum 2021: Managing pest and disease
29 Jul to 30 Jul 2021
Join two interactive online sessions on managing pest and disease, and getting the best out of your soil.
Session One: Pest Management
Thursday 29 July, 2:00-4:30pm
- Season update from the regions: What have been the key pest and disease issues?
- Management of soil constraints in the potato industry: Ben Fleay/Greg Hall (Precision Agriculture)
- Tamarixia triozae: a small parasitoid with a big future: How has Tamarixia helped New Zealand manage TPP? Dr Sally Anderson (Market Access Solutionz)
- New smartphone technologies for pathogen detection: Professor Jean Ristaino (North Carolina State University) (GRDC Video)
- iMapPESTS and emerging insect threats for the potato industry: Callum Fletcher and Shakira Johnson (AUSVEG)
- Overview of new crop protection products: Tim Belleville (E.E. Muir & Sons)
- Panel discussion: How will new technology and products help us manage pests and soil health?
Session Two: Soil Health and Disease Management
Friday 30 July, 2:00-4:30pm
- Promoting soil health: How can cover crops and soil amendments improve your soil health and yield? Julie Finnigan (Serve-Ag)
- PREDICTA Pt: How can you identify risks before they become a problem? Michael Rettke (SARDI)
- Update on ‘Investigating soil pH and nutrition as possible factors influencing pink rot in potatoes': Dr Robert Tegg (TIA)
- Simplot Ag R&D disease-related projects overview: Dr Audrey Leo (Simplot)
- Update on ‘Mechanisms and manipulation of resistance to powdery scab in potato roots’: Professor Calum Wilson (TIA)
- Panel discussion: Options and approaches for managing soil borne disease and promoting plant health.